What is the CESP™ Code of Conduct?
The Code of Conduct establishes the basic ethical standards for the professional behavior of ESPCC credential holders and candidates. The Code is designed to provide both appropriate ethical practice guidelines and enforceable standards of conduct for all credential holders and candidates.
Certified Employment Support Professional™ Certification as an Industry Standard
The ESPCC supports appropriate, professional standards designed to serve the public, employees, employers, people supported and the employment support profession. First and foremost, ESPCC credential holders and candidates give priority to providing employment support services in a manner that promotes integrity and reflects positively on the profession, consistent with accepted moral, ethical, and legal standards.
CESP™ credential holders and candidates have the obligations to maintain high standards of integrity and professional conduct; accept responsibility for their actions; continually seek to enhance their professional capabilities; practice with fairness and honesty; and, encourage others to act in a professional manner, consistent with the certification standards and responsibilities set forth below.
Section 1: Adherence to Legal Requirements
- Adhere to all laws, regulations, policies, and ethical standards that apply to the practice of providing employment support services and related activities.
- Refrain from public behavior that is clearly in violation of professional, ethical, and/or legal standards that apply to the practice of providing employment support services and related activities.
- Refrain from discrimination in professional activities, including relationships with employees, employers, customers, and their families, and other professionals.
Section 2: Adherence to ESPCC Policies & Requirements
- Follow all ESPCC CESP™ certification program policies, procedures, requirements, and rules. This includes the obligation to be aware of and understand these policies and requirements.
- Provide accurate and complete information to ESPCC concerning certification and recertification.
- Keep confidential all CESP™ examination information; including preventing unauthorized disclosures of exam information.
- Cooperate with ESPCC regarding matters related to the Code of Conduct and complaint and/or disciplinary investigations.
- Report violations of the Code of Conduct by CESP™ candidates or credential holders to ESPCC.
Section 3: Professional Performance
- Deliver competent employment support services.
- Act honestly in the conduct of responsibilities and in all professional interactions with others.
- Be accountable and responsible for his/her actions and behaviors.
- Recognize the limitations of one’s professional ability (based on education, knowledge, skills, experience, etc.) and provide services only when qualified to do so.
- Treat recipients of CESP™ services and their employers, families and other supports with fairness and respect.
- Maintain the confidentiality of private and sensitive information, unless there is mandate to report or other legal obligation to disclose the information.
- Properly use professional titles, degrees and all credentials and provide accurate and truthful information regarding education, experience, qualifications, and the performance of services.
- Disclose any conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest and avoid conduct that could cause a conflict of interest.
- Uphold high standards of professional behavior at all times in the CESP™ role.